Top Five Movements for Athletes in Their 40s & Beyond
- Romanian Dead Lifts – The ultimate strength builder for the hamstrings and erector spinae group. Also helps to “glide” tight hamstrings and nerve fascia. (see photos)
- V-Up Core Strengthening – Develops deep pelvic stabilizer strength.
- Iliotibial Band Release using foam roller – The ITB gets shortened and tight from sitting long hours. Proper rolling technique requires a full breathing inhalation and a long exhalation, while you attempt to “melt” deeper into the tight tissue with the roller.
- Downward Dog to Plank Yoga Flow – improves hip & low back blood flow and stretches typical tight areas, low back, hams, lats.
- Machine Reverse Flyes – This exercise (along with a host of other scapulae stabilizers) is important to combat the anterior forward roll of the shoulders due to poor posture.